THE IDENTITY AND MISSION OF LOUISIANA COLLEGE
Louisiana College is a private, Baptist, coeducational college of liberal
arts and sciences with selected professional programs. The campus is located
in the Alexandria-Pineville area of central Louisiana. Louisiana College is
accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges
and Schools to award Associate, Baccalaureate, and Masters degree. Separate
accreditation for specific programs has been awarded by the Association of Collegiate
Business Schools and Programs, Louisiana State Department of Education, Council on
Social Work Education, the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education and the Louisiana
State Board of Nursing.
The college is located on an 85-acre campus with a total of twenty-five academic
and residential buildings. Most of the students at Louisiana College come from Central
Louisiana, but many states and several foreign countries are represented in the current
student body. The faculty and staff of Louisiana College genuinely care for the students.
Their primary concern is to enhance student learning and to encourage the students
Christian growth. The college was chartered in 1906 as a non-profit corporation with the
object to own, operate and conduct a Baptist college, and to foster Christian education.
It is governed by a Board of Trustees, which is chosen by the Louisiana Baptist Convention.
Louisiana College was founded in Pineville, Louisiana on October 3, 1906. It is the
successor to two earlier Louisiana Baptist schools, Mt. Lebanon University and Keatchie
Female College. The first, a mens school founded in 1852 by the North Louisiana Baptist
Convention, was located in the community of Mt. Lebanon. The womens college, founded in
1857 by the Grand Cane Association of Baptist Churches, was located in the community of
Keatchie. After a history beset by financial difficulties, both schools came under control
of the State Baptist Convention in 1899. An Education Commission was selected by the state
convention to administer the schools with the understanding that both would be succeeded
by a more centrally located college as soon as a suitable campus could be selected.
When Louisiana College was opened in 1906, Mt. Lebanon College was closed, followed by
Keatchie a few years later. The enrollment of students in 1906 at the opening of the
college was 19. Today, more than 12,000 have been graduated since the college was founded.
Louisiana College was administered by the Education Commission until 1921, when the
commission was replaced by a Board of Trustees as called for in a new charter. The first
administrative head of Louisiana College was W.F. Taylor, whose title was chairman of the
faculty. Since its opening, Louisiana College has had eight presidents: Dr. E.O. Ware,
appointed in 1908; Dr. W.C. Friley, in 1909; Dr. Claybrook Cottingham, in 1910; Dr. Edgar
Godbold, in 1941; Dr. G. Earl Guinn, in 1951; Dr. Robert L. Lynn, in 1975; Dr. Rory Lee,
in 1997; and Joe W. Aguilllard, in 2005 and our current President, Dr. Rick Brewer in 2015.
The mission of Louisiana College is to provide liberal arts, professional, and graduate
programs characterized by devotion to the preeminence of the Lord Jesus, allegiance
to the authority of the Holy Scriptures, dedication to academic excellence for the glory
of God, and commitment to change the world for Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit.